Utility Allowance Verification
(06/01/16 – 07/31/16)
Verification for utility allowance eligibility is required when ANY of the following occur:
Initial and renewal application
A change of address is reported
A change in the type of utility expenses being billed is reported
Information is questionable
Acceptable verification includes, but is not limited to, the following:
A landlord statement when the statement identifies that the landlord is paid an amount for utilities separate from the amount paid for rent
A lease agreement that shows a portion of the amount paid is used to pay specific utilities
A utility bill
A LIHEA payment
A participant statement when verification is not available at the interview
For allowable utility expenses, see Utility Expense Types.
The participant statement is not acceptable verification when either of the following occurs:
The utility expense is in another person’s name who is outside the budgetary unit.
The participant statement is questionable.
When the utility expense is billed to someone outside the budgetary unit, one of the following must be used to verify who is responsible to pay the expense:
A collateral contact (CC) with the person billed for the expense
A signed statement from the person billed for the expense
NOTE The CC documentation or the signed statement must include the type of utility expense and must state that the budgetary unit has the responsibility to pay the utility expense.
Do not request verification of the nonparticipant's separate billing statement or separate residential address.
To be eligible for the standard utility allowance, only one utility expense, that is not a telephone expense, must be verified. Acceptable verification may include:
NOTE Key all expense types and amounts on EXNS. This information is displayed on HOSU and is used to assist the EI in tracking Expenses Exceed Income (EEI) cases.
Do not upload into OnBase(g) or HEAplus any document that shows the actual address of an Address Confidentiality Program (ACP) participant.