Educational Income - Overview
(01/01/23 – 12/31/23)
A participant may receive financial aid (educational income) for enrollment in or for attending any of the following:
Schools for the handicapped
Technical and trade schools
Programs that provide for completing either a high school diploma or a General Educational Development (GED) diploma
Educational income can be earned or unearned income. Education income may be counted or not counted depending on the source of income and programs for which the participant has applied.
When the participant is receiving any educational income, key the educational income on EDWO.
Before budgeting countable educational income, deduct educational expenses.
Determine whether a cash award or scholarship given to a participant from a nonprofit service club or charitable organization is a cash contribution.
When a provider of a countable educational income source pays a third party for living expenses, treat the payment as follows:
Countable as unearned educational income for the NA benefit.
Not countable as income for CA benefits. Treat the income as a vendor payment.
(See Verification of Educational Income for policy and procedures regarding verification of educational income)