TPEP Work Program Exemptions
(01/01/23 – 12/31/23)
Determine the exempt status for each parent for the Two Parent Employment Program (TPEP) for all of the following:
New applications
Renewal applications
Reported changes
The following participants are exempt from the TPEP Work Program:
A parent under age 18, or a parent age 18 and a student that expects to complete school before reaching age 19.
Key AG in the PAR/EXEM field next to the eligible participant on WORW.
A minor who is the head of household or the spouse(g) of the head of household is not exempt. Key RM in the PAR/EXEM field on WORW.
Grant Diversion budgetary unit participants.
Key GD in the PAR/EXEM field on WORW for participants who are in the Grant Diversion budgetary unit and have no other work program exemptions.
Parents who work an average of 30 hours or more per week in unsubsidized employment(g). The employment must pay at least minimum wage and last at least 30 calendar(g) days.
Key EM in the PAR/EXEM field on WORW.
The exemption continues when a break in employment expected to last no longer than ten workdays(g). When a break in employment exists, complete all of the following:
Request the verification to support that the break in employment will not be longer than ten workdays.
Redetermine the participant’s exempt status when they have not returned to work after ten days.
Explain to the participant that they can volunteer to participate in the Jobs Program.
The Tribal Native Employment Works (NEW) offices provide employment services to the CA TPEP budgetary units when at least one parent is an enrolled member of any Federally Recognized (PDF 74 KB) Native American Indian Tribe.
When the CA TPEP budgetary unit resides in a Tribal NEW service delivery area, and at least one of the parents is an enrolled tribal member, complete all of the following:
Key the RT Referral Code on PAR/EXEM field on WORW.
During the interview, provide Tribal NEW information to the participants. See Tribal NEW for FAA responsibilities and referral procedures.
FAA must not place the CA TPEP benefits on hold when the TPEP participants are referred to Tribal NEW. To complete approval for TPEP CA benefits, call the FAA Systems Help Desk. (See FAA Systems Help Desk for contact information.)
NOTE On APFD, only the FAA Systems Help Desk can change the H1 and H2 to S1 and S2.
See NEW Employment Works (NEW) Offices contact information for service delivery areas.