Primary Verification Documents for NA and CA
Acceptable primary citizenship documents to verify U.S. citizenship include the following:
A birth certificate showing birth in the U.S., its territories, or possessions. (See U.S. Citizenship)
Persons born to foreign diplomats residing in the U.S. are not U.S. citizens.
Birth Certificates issued from Puerto Rico for participants new to AZTECS must be issued 07/01/10 or later.
Certificate of Birth issued by the Department of State (FS-545 or DPS-1350).
U.S. Passport current or expired, except limited passports which are issued for periods of less than 5 years.
U. S. Passport Card issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
Certificate of Naturalization (N-550 or N-570).
Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (N-560 or N-561).
Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen (FS-240) issued by the U.S. State Department.
U.S. Consular officers’ statement.
A United States Citizen Identification Card (I-197).
Northern Mariana Identification Card (I-873).
A tribal enrollment card or Certificate of Indian Blood issued by a U.S. federally recognized tribe that shows that the person is enrolled or affiliated with that tribe.
NOTE The Bureau of Indian Affairs publishes a revised list to the Federal Register annually. (For a current list, see Federally Recognized Tribes (PDF 74 KB))
American Indian Card (I-872) issued by USCIS with the classification code KIC.